Fertility Factories

An interesting article in the Daily Mail today discusses the health hazards of IVF for the women donating the eggs, mainly abroad as the regulations are less tight than here in the UK.

Not just physical problems but also emotional problems. Nastya Kanatova who doanted eggs says interestingly: 'In dark moments, I feel a sense of loss about them, an emptiness. I have ­children I will never know. I ask myself: “Are these children OK? Are they happy? Will they ever feel deprived by not knowing fully about themselves, never knowing their biological mum?” Because, in the end it’s not just ­biology, is it? It’s human emotion, too. I gave them life, yet I feel consumed by guilt.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1339041/The-brutal-fertility-factories-trading-British-mothers-dreams.html#ixzz18JCf8tx8

She also talks about the physical side effects: I had to have a course of injections, which led to some unpleasant side- effects. I felt exhausted.

‘There were headaches, and pains in my lower abdomen. After each injection I suffered reduced blood pressure, giddiness, and sometimes it was hard to walk afterwards. Nobody told me how bad it could be.’

In fact, donating eggs can be very ­dangerous. In the UK, it is considered inadvisable for a woman to donate more than three times in her life, compared with Nastya’s six in just a couple of years.

Another lady had even more serious side effects: Hillary Green became an egg donor in the autumn of 2002. She was ­studying for a PhD at a university in the American midwest.

In the U.S., clinics regularly ­advertise on college campuses and in student newspapers, offering enticements up to $100,000 for good looks and high IQs. However, according to one expert, the amounts actually paid are usually below $10,000.

When Hillary was 29, and needed money so she could spend three months finishing her dissertation, she agreed to become an egg donor. ‘I got paid $2,700,’ she says. ‘It was the worst decision I ever made.’

Hillary developed OHSS and ovarian torsion, where the ovary becomes twisted — yet twice she returned to the fertility clinic and was told there was nothing wrong. On the third visit, she was rushed into surgery and had to have the ovary removed.

‘I was in hospital for two weeks and lost 25 lb,’ she says. ‘I nearly died and felt I had done something stupid in donating, but I thought that at least I had got away with it. Then, almost five years to the day of donating, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.

‘Neither my mother, grandmother or aunts had breast cancer. I was tested to see whether I had a breast cancer gene and I didn’t.

‘It turned out to be a hormone-dependent cancer and I’m convinced the drugs I took during the donation procedure in some way caused this.’ Hillary eventually had to have both breasts removed.

There has been other research on the effects of hormones from abortions in relation to cancer in women.

Giving eggs might seem like a self-less act but it is not without dangers to the giver - some of which may be irreversible or even lead to death.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorae

Saint Joanna

Reminiscing - Rock Ferry